cogwheel replacements for Gotoh classical tuners

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Simon Magennis

cogwheel replacements for Gotoh classical tuners

Post by Simon Magennis »

I have used set of Gotoh tuners for a classical. One of the pegs grinds a bit. Having disassembled it and played with it a bit, as far as I can see the root cause is that the cogwheel is quite worn. All the wheels are worn but one in particular seems to be the issue. Are replacements available? Any thoughts where I might get some, especially in Europe.
Barry Daniels

Re: cogwheel replacements for Gotoh classical tuners

Post by Barry Daniels »

I have never seen a commercial source for tuner parts. When broke...replace the whole set.

But, it is a good idea to keep any old tuners that you remove because then you will have useful parts for future repairs.
MIMF Staff
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: cogwheel replacements for Gotoh classical tuners

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4504

There is a discussion in acoustic guitars about Gotoh tuners. The information might help get parts, but I would go with Barry's suggestion.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”