30's Regal Dobro mandolin; what type of neck joint?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
allen williams

30's Regal Dobro mandolin; what type of neck joint?

Post by allen williams »

I'm hoping someone with knowledge of 30's regal or Dobro resonator mandolins can help me identify what kind of neck joint is on the one I have to do a neck set on. The joint is stable, but not at a steep enough angle. The mando has been completely stripped but I'm sure it is a Dobro or Regal. It is a glued in neck with no post running from the heel through the body. It joins the body between the 11th and 12th frets. I suspect it is a dovetail, but am not certain. I could just start randomly drilling through the 13th fret slot in hopes of hitting the joint, but would rather know what is there before I start. Also, there is a plug on the heel which either covers a screw or is a dowel running through the heel into the neckblock. I'm hoping it is a screw that I can simply back out. I'm guessing that is a repair, but could it be a factory butt joint with a screw pulling it together?
Michael Lewis

Re: 30's Regal Dobro mandolin; what type of neck joint?

Post by Michael Lewis »

One option is to call the folks at National. They do quite a bit of repair work on old National and Dobro instruments. Another good possibility is to contact Frank Ford at gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto CA.

It will really help if you have some clear photos of the instrument so it can be identified. Also of the suspected dowel in the heel, and anything else that might give a clue to what is going on or where it came from.
allen williams

Post by allen williams »

Thanks or replying, Michael. There's nothing on National's site in the way of contact info. I'll go on Frank's forum and see what I can find there. I'm pretty sure this is a dove tail joint, but was just hoping to find out more before I tried removing it. I'm debating on just removing the fretboard and putting a wedge under it rather than resetting the neck. That wouldn't be my first choice, but considering the owner's tight budget and that scary peg in the heel, I'm considering it.

Here are a few pics. Note the biscuit cone. The only Regals I have seen had Dobro style cones in them.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
Chris Vallillo

Post by Chris Vallillo »

National Reso-Phonic Guitars, Inc
871 Via Esteban #C
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
PH: (805)546-8442
FAX: (805)546-8430
webcontact@nationalguitars.com
http://www.nationalguitars.com

Folks there are very helpful. You frequently end up talking with the owner, Don. Good luck!
allen williams

Post by allen williams »

Thanks, Chris. I'll give em a call.
allen williams

Post by allen williams »

Any opinions on an alternative to doing a neck set on this mandolin? The owner had actually asked about the idea of removing the fretboard and gluing a wedge under it to lift the upper end. Initially I discounted that idea, but am reconsidering it.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Call first, then e-mail photos.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”