Technique for neck reset on a '53 Gibson 125?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Fren Asken

Technique for neck reset on a '53 Gibson 125?

Post by Fren Asken »

Before I dig into this old beast I'd like to get some feedback. This guitar needs a neck reset, but I'm not sure if it's a standard dovetail. Also, should I remove the fretboard tongue platform or just loosen the end of the fingerboard? Any experience with these?
--
Fren Asken
Michael Lewis

Re: Technique for neck reset on a '53 Gibson 125?

Post by Michael Lewis »

First off, I have not had one of these apart, but I think it is a standard dovetail joint. You will probably have to remove the fingerboard support but if you can leave it in place that would be good if all goes well.

It can become a 'can of worms' with so many glue joints and parts involved on an archtop. The fingerboard covers the support and the neck, and THE NECK JOINT. It helps to see what you are working on, and where to apply the steam.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”