Adding a fret to the end of a fingerboard

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Beate Ritzert

Adding a fret to the end of a fingerboard

Post by Beate Ritzert »

Maybe this is not the right subforum, but it is hopefully the most suitable.

Some of You might be aware of the Gibson SG and Les Paul Junior DC basses. These have 20 frets and a large pseudo mudbucker adjacent to the end of the fingerboard. In solo stuff (i am playing in a duo vocals an bass) i feel surprisingly often the need of a 21st fret.

Between the fingerboard and the pickup cap there is a narrow gap, less than half a mm. The width of the wood beyond the 20st fret is exactly the length of a 21st fret; it is sharply cut at the position of the 21st fret slot. I measured this on my EB-11. Any chance to attach something like a fret to the end of the fingerboard? Has someone done something similar?

BTW: standard fret wire will probably not be usable, because of the dimensions of the tin but also because of the T-like cross section of fret wire, which might already be in the way of the pickup cap.

Thanks for any hints

Beate
Michael Lewis

Re: Adding a fret to the end of a fingerboard

Post by Michael Lewis »

Beate, you can attach a plate to the end of the fingerboard with a couple small screws, using the edge of the plate as the fret. It would require some fiddling but is not a complex problem. You might hae to remove a small amount of wood from the end of the fingerboard to allow sufficient clearance. Also you might have to bend the plate to achieve correct intonation.
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

Michael, thanks for the suggestion.

I actually thought about this but was not sure if its really viable. So it looks as if my idea was not crazy at all. Intonation should be not a problem at all in this case: the edge of the fingerboard is exactly where the fret slot might have been. So removing a bit in order to get place for a plate of, say, brass or aluminum can be done in a way leaving the center of the plate in the correct position.
Robert Russell

Post by Robert Russell »

Hi Beate,
I joined this forum a while ago and have not posted for a while so I hope this is still a valid question.

Michael Lewis has a good solution but I would add to it if I could... What I would do is make that same plate for the end of your fretboard but I would take a fret and remove the barbs from the tang. Make the plate so it only covers the tang of the fret and use it as a clamp for your "extra fret". If the end of the fretboard is exactly where the fret slot would be then you should be just fine since the overhang of the fret top will just come over the fretboard and will look like it was made that way and you shouldn't have any intonation issues since the fret is right were it should be.

Just an idea...

Cheers,
Bob
John Catto

Post by John Catto »

I've done this to extend a board that was a bit short. Basically I cut a shelf at the last fret and glued a new section on the end. At the joint point where the original last fret was I epoxied the fret in rather than hammering it.
Board-Extension.jpg
Board-Extension.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”