Strat Truss Rod Issue

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Bob Matthews

Strat Truss Rod Issue

Post by Bob Matthews »

Hi Guys, I have in for repair an 80's American Strat and the neck has a back bow.

This guitar has been stored in a basement for more than 20 years and although cosmetically, it is still perfect, there is a very slight raised area at the back of the neck on the skunk stripe probably where the truss rod has been pressing. This slight raised area is not a problem for the owner but the back bow in the neck is.

So, onto adjusting the truss rod. The adjustment screw (headstock end) is seized solid! I have sprayed penetrating fluid into the hole and spent half an hour with a hot soldering iron on the allen key. The only movement I can get is the whole of the rod winding up inside the neck, I have tried tightening as well as loosening. I know the rod is winding inside the neck as I can feel it creaking. I am getting about a 1/4 turn on the key by using an extension bar on it, but feel I'm at the limit of either the key breaking or the rod itself.

Any ideas as to how I can release the adjustment nut, Or do I just wait and hope the penetrating fluid will eventually work its magic?

Bob
Mark Swanson

Re: Strat Truss Rod Issue

Post by Mark Swanson »

My guess is that the rod will need to be replaced, because if it is spinning then it is not anchored at the other end and must have broken loose. It can't work when that has happened.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Bob Matthews

Post by Bob Matthews »

Mark Swanson wrote:My guess is that the rod will need to be replaced, because if it is spinning then it is not anchored at the other end and must have broken loose. It can't work when that has happened.
Hi Mark

No it's not spinning at all, it's just winding up a quarter of a turn and then returning to the original position and is definitely still anchored at the other end.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I would continue the penetrating fluid several times a day, with or without heat. If you have an impact driver and a hex key that will fit, try a light burst in between times. This may be in the danger zone for breakage, but sometimes a hammer really is the right tool.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Bob Matthews

Post by Bob Matthews »

Continued with the penetrating oil overnight and this morning used almost excessive force on the adjustment nut and it turned suddenly :)

I have now been able able to wind it both ways and to get it running free - it's a good save for the client.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”