What glue for pickguard on NC lacquer?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Mario Kessels

What glue for pickguard on NC lacquer?

Post by Mario Kessels »

Hello everybody hope you all do well. I repaired and refinished an acoustic bass with satin gloss nitrocellulose finish. The pickguard which is a transparant thin plastic sheet like the blanks we order from stewm etc. It came of nice and the glue I could just peel off so I would like to glue this one on again.
Does anyone know what glue I could use? I am looking for a soft bond that does not affect the NC. Please advise with type since i cannot order glue from the US.
Thx for the help, grz from Holland
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: What glue for pickguard on NC lacquer?

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhe ... esive.html

Most people use these adhesive sheets.
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

I have these sheets. The question is what glue to use if you want to reapply one that does not have the adhesive on it anymore.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Mario, make sure both surfaces are clean and free of any dust or debris, use the TRANSFER ADHESIVE sheet to apply the adhesive to the guard, then remove the other protective paper and apply the guard to your instrument.

All the pickguard adhesive sheet is is two slick papers with the adhesive between them. Remove one paper, apply to guard, remove the other paper and apply the guard to your instrument.
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

Haha...i start to realize there is a communication error. I am not trying to attach a pickguard that has adhesive on it. I know how that works.
I removed a pickguard from a guitar. It is the type like the one you are describing, transparant and thin just like we use from stewmac.
I removed it and it was very easy to remove the adhesive that was left on it so i decided to reapply this one after refinishing.
So i have the pickguard now but there is NO adhesive on it. The question is: what glue should i use to install this pickguard now?
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Mario, I believe you may have misread Michael's post above. He has recommended an adhesive that comes in a sheet and can be applied to the pickguard.
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

You are right! I am sorry and thank you for the answer :-)

Best regards Mario

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”