Single fret buzz Mystery

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Alexander Higgins

Single fret buzz Mystery

Post by Alexander Higgins »

Got my Hybrid Steinberger bass all assembled, sounds great except for 23rd fret on the G string, which "frets out" with an anemic buzz like a reluctant fart. The 22nd fret has a tiny buzz and 24th no buzz at all. I can't see any evidence that any of the last three frets have lifted, and since it's a carbon graphite neck, i know the neck hasn't moved in this century. Raising the string height to any reasonable action doesn't cure it. I don't own a fret rocker, should I try the Credit Card trick? Suggestions? It never did this while it was attached to the original Steinberger body, so something has changed, but why just one fret?
Mark Swanson

Re: Single fret buzz Mystery

Post by Mark Swanson »

You can make a fret rocker out of anything. Just get it flat, I made mine out of some aluminum stock that I sanded flat on a good flat surface. So do that, and look to see if there is a high fret. This can also be caused by a loose fret, when the string is played on the loose fret is is not seated well and deadens the tone.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Steve Benford

Re: Single fret buzz Mystery

Post by Steve Benford »

Alexander Higgins wrote:Got my Hybrid Steinberger bass all assembled, sounds great except for 23rd fret on the G string, which "frets out" with an anemic buzz like a reluctant fart. The 22nd fret has a tiny buzz and 24th no buzz at all. I can't see any evidence that any of the last three frets have lifted, and since it's a carbon graphite neck, i know the neck hasn't moved in this century. Raising the string height to any reasonable action doesn't cure it. I don't own a fret rocker, should I try the Credit Card trick? Suggestions? It never did this while it was attached to the original Steinberger body, so something has changed, but why just one fret?
This is a shot in the dark but, are all of your neck bolts fully tightened down? Ive forgotten to snug them up once on a guitar and it caused the end if neck to flair up a tiny bit causing the same type of buzzing your having. Also, double check that your neck screws are not to long. The lowest ones may be pushing the FB up slightly from underneath.

Just a couple ideas! Good luck!

STEVE

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”