Blush in Black Lacquer

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Andy Munro

Blush in Black Lacquer

Post by Andy Munro »

Hi All, It's been a while, but I'm glad to see the forum still going. I just pulled the neck out of an old Harmony yesterday and ended up with quite a lot of blushing in the lacquer on the top near the joint. The finish is black lacquer; it's hard to tell if there is a clearcoat, or if it's just solid black. I'm wondering what the best approach might be to get rid of the white haze. I have heard of misting lacquer thinner or retarder over the finish, but the references I've seen were for new (in process) finishes, and I'd like to keep the old checked appearance as much as possible. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
Michael Lewis

Re: Blush in Black Lacquer

Post by Michael Lewis »

That is fairly common and should go away pretty easily. Depending on the size of the blush I would either use a small brush and apply lacquer thinner, or spray some thinner over the area. Be aware this will disrupt the surface of the finish somewhat, but the white areas should disappear.
Andy Munro

Post by Andy Munro »

Thanks Michael, I will give that a try. Am I right in thinking a slow thinner is best?

Andy
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Probably, but really not terribly important, as you can reapply thinner as needed. Don't over do it, you don't want thinner pooling or dripping.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Sometimes this blush will disappear on its own or with just some rubbing with a fine polishing compound that warms up the surface a bit.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”