Crack in headstock veneer

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Chris Tremble

Crack in headstock veneer

Post by Chris Tremble »

G'day,
Ive been working on a build for awhile and had put it aside. I went to work on it again and dicovered a crack in the veneer from the truss rod access hole up to an inlay id put in.
Any advice on covering this up?
Chris Tremble
Michael Lewis

Re: Crack in headstock veneer

Post by Michael Lewis »

A clear pic would help to assess this.

Do you think the wood was damp when glued on and shrank afterward? Or was there a fissure in the wood you didn't see?
Chris Tremble

Post by Chris Tremble »

Here is a picture. After I glued the veneer on the headstock, I planed an angle where it met the fingerboard. It turned out nice until I made the access hole to adjust the truss rod. A very fine crack appeared. It gets quiet hot in my workshop and the heat has made the crack longer and wider.
Sorry, can't post a picture. It keeps saying the files too big!
Very frustrating.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Read our Photo FAQ for hints on how to reduce the size of your images. I personally use and recommend Irfanview. If you get all the add-ins (all free), you specify what size you want the file to be and it will compress to whatever level is necessary to achieve the desired size.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Chris Tremble

Post by Chris Tremble »

As described above.
Attachments
Cracked headstock veneer
Cracked headstock veneer
image.jpg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

That appears to have shrunk, was most probably higher moisture content in the wood than advisable. If you have more of that wood you can inlay a small strip in the crack area. I know it's fiddly and time consuming but it can camouflage the crack if done cleanly.

Next time make sure the wood is fully seasoned and dry. Blasting a hair drier over the overlay piece for a minute just before gluing is generally a help.
Chris Tremble

Post by Chris Tremble »

Thanks Michael, and thanks Jim for the advise on posting an image.
I do have more of the same wood and don't mind the tricky fix. Do you think I could carefully route along the crack to make in laying easier or would that be fraught with danger?
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

Looks like most of it would be hidden by the truss rod cover. Filling with matching wood would work but if you are going to route a channel then I would think about using it to advantage and make it look like part of your design as a center stripe. Maybe use black/white/black strips with a piece of your original wood sandwiched between. Just stop well short of your inlay when routing and you should be okay, I feel.

A picture of the whole headstock would be nice to see.
Chris Tremble

Post by Chris Tremble »

Thanks Warren. Here's a picture of the headstock and the fingerboard. I was thinking about continuing the vine inlay onto the headstock to cover the crack perhaps.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 6980 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 6980 times

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”