Pickguard brackets

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Greg Steil

Pickguard brackets

Post by Greg Steil »

Could anyone steer me to the best source for, or provide a close up of, a circa 1929 Gibson L-4 pickguard bracket? Vintage would be cool, but not mandatory. I know there are tons available, just want to get close. I assume they were Nickel.
Tom Sommerville

Re: Pickguard brackets

Post by Tom Sommerville »

If this is restoration then you should look at StewMac. There's also an outfit on that big online auction site, located in Canada, with brackets that will do the job.

If this instrument is your own work, or a generic factory instrument , make your own: a die, say 10-32, a matching tap, some 3/16" brass rod and some brass flat stock, 1/16" or so thick x 3/4. Bend a 90 degree angle in the flat, saw off the bracket, drill and tap for the rod. Drill another hole to attach the bracket. Actually, you can guess-ti mate the amount of flat needed for the bend and lay out the holes prior to bending. The rod gets threaded on both ends to fit whatever bracket arrangement extending from beneath the pick guard. Dress everything up with file, sand and shine it up, then seal it or apply a patina. Cap the exposed upper part of the rod with an acorn nut,and clamp the side bracket between two hex-head nuts. Of course there are other, probably better ways, but I'll leave that up to you.

It's duck soup-- a few dollars, a trip to the hardware store, a little time, and maybe a sore finger or two.

As I think about it, I lean more toward the first option.
Greg Steil

Re: Pickguard brackets

Post by Greg Steil »

actually I got pictures of one on a 1929 L-4. Not the threaded rod type at all, more of the bent flat metal type. I got a guy with a bunch of them laying around that I have to go see. I did buy a new one, but it is just too thick and "clunky" to please me....oh well.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”