Fretting

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Chris Tremble

Fretting

Post by Chris Tremble »

I've just finished in laying my ebony fingerboard and I'm trying to fret it now but the frets just don't want to stay in. I've bent them slightly over radius, tapped them in on the edges and then hammered them in from the middle out, but they still want to pop out on the edges again! It's starting to chip around the fret slots and I'm worried I'm going to ruin the board after spending so much time on the inlay. Can someone help please, this is my first build and I don't want to mess it up! :)
Mario Proulx

Re: Fretting

Post by Mario Proulx »

Put a wee bit of glue(wood glue, hide glue being best, but titebond or similar will do fine) in the slot before tapping-in the fret. The glue will act as a lubricant and allow the fret to ease itself into the slot with much less effort. And -tap- the fret. The harder you hit it, especially in the middle, the more it will make the ends want to pop-up. Tap. Tap. Tap.
Chris Tremble

Post by Chris Tremble »

Thanks Mario. It worked nicely!
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Sweet! Always happy to help.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”