Fender refinish after refret

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Mario Kessels

Fender refinish after refret

Post by Mario Kessels »

hallo from rainy Holland, as always I come with a request for some good advice, which I always get haha.
I am refretting a fender neck, 1979. The finish on this neck was unbelievable thick, sticky, and more brown than yellow! When talking to the customer it seems that the guitar has been hanging over a desk where a pack of cigs is smoked every day. I assume this has ruined the neck.

After taking off the frets I have started taking of the finish on the fretboard, and it smells exactly like the polyester stuff I use when repairing cracks in my surfboard. After some research this is my conclusion: The neck has a polyester finish, but the headstock probably has a nitro finish since the decal would dissolve under the polyester. This is what I read, but I see no difference between the headstock and the rest of the neck.
Most important question now: What finish would you put on the fretboard? I spray NC and 2K, no polyester. The challenge is gonna be matching colour but foremost blending the new layer with the old one on the side of the neck, that starts about 5mm below the the top.
regards, Mario
John Catto

Re: Fender refinish after refret

Post by John Catto »

Colour's easy. Just do a sealer coat of amber shellac and shoot nitro from there. Less is way more on a fingerboard.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”