G String on Bass does not seem right. Need help!

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
John Meyers

G String on Bass does not seem right. Need help!

Post by John Meyers »

I built this bass years ago and it has had this issue the hole time. I had even posted in here before under G String Buzz but now I do not think it is the frets. I just went through and re-leveled the frets again and it did not help much and that is when I really noticed something. I hope this makes since but the G string sounds out of tune when played open. It gets that wow wow sound but it is only one string being played. When I first noticed this I thought I may have hit the D string as well and was getting that in my ears when tunning. So I made sure I mutted all other strings and it still does it. Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Not real sure where to start. Could the nut angle not be correct and it is causing this or the break angle at the bridge not enough? It still has the string buzz around the 9th-13th frets but I think there is something else going on here.

Also not real sure this could cause it but the neck is thin but I used the large U channel trus rod from Stew Mac for this reason. I am wondering if the neck could be flexing when played and cause this? The trus rod holds the neck alignment just fine as far as I can tell. If this helps, I have my neck relief set to the 6th fret clearence just enough so a business card will slid smoothly between the bottom of the string and the 6th fret, when fretting the 1st and 15th frets.

I hope someone can help with this becuase it drives me crazy to have such a great sounding and playing bass (minus G string issues).
I don't make mistakes, I make adjustments!
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: G String on Bass does not seem right. Need help!

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

If the string is warbling when it is played open it os possible the pick up(s) is too high and is pulling on the string. This is common on Fender style pick-ups because the pole piece is a magnet. Another possiblity is the truss rod is rattling. This can occur even if the truss rod is functioning. Try rapping on neck to see if there is a rattle. Yet another possiblity is the strings behind the nut are close to the pitch of the open string (though up a couple of octaves) and you're hearing the beating.

Joshua
John Meyers

Post by John Meyers »

Thank you. I will look into these. It is a Jazz style bass so there are two J pups with Alinco 5 magnets/pole pieces. I know the pickups were an issue on the E string when slapping causing the string to hit the neck pup. So maybe I need to lower it more on the G string side.
I don't make mistakes, I make adjustments!
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

If it is not the magnets you might try adding weight to the headstock. Just a C clamp with appropriate padding would do. This will often remove a harmonic resonance or move it to another frequency. It helps to find what is actually going on.
Jeffrey L. Suits

Post by Jeffrey L. Suits »

Have you tried another string?
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

is your nut slot too tight? I had this once and I gave the string just a little more wiggle room in the nut and that took care of it. Not sure if it's the same as you are describing, but it sounds similar to what was happening to me.
Mario Kessels

Post by Mario Kessels »

I would try the string like Jeffrey mentions. Every time i have unexplainable tuning issues it turns out to be the string. had it with brand new ones even.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”