Fish eye cure

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Fren Asken

Fish eye cure

Post by Fren Asken »

I'm re-lacquering an old headstock and even after sanding it clean I'm getting fish eyes in certain areas, but not others. I've tried sanding it and then shellacking it and it didn't help. I was thinking maybe acetone would remove any contaminants that might still be lurking. Would that work?
--
Fren Asken
Barry Daniels

Re: Fish eye cure

Post by Barry Daniels »

No!! Acetone will melt a lacquer finish. Clean the surface several times with mineral spirits using new rags each time. Then apply a shellac seal coat before applying more lacquer.
MIMF Staff
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

What are you spraying it with. You may have contaminants in your gun
Fren Asken

Post by Fren Asken »

There is no finish on the peg head right now so I wa thinking I could clean the bare wood with acetone. I've tried mineral spirits and naphtha and neither seemed to fix the issue. I've sprayed and sanded off lacquer several times because of this.
--
Fren Asken
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

In that case, the acetone might be worth trying. You might also try a water based cleaner such as an ammonia or soap based solution. My understanding is that the best approach is to get the surface as clean as possible and then get a good shellac coat providing a complete seal.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”