1935 Epiphone Zenith Restoration

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Don Linowski

1935 Epiphone Zenith Restoration

Post by Don Linowski »

I recently purchased a 1935 Epiphone Zenith SN 9452 . It's in such good shape for it's age it's kind of spooky. It needs re-binding and neck re-set (perhaps), and the frets dressed. Someone with more experiance would have to tell me if it's had an over-spray but it's obvious the binding has been shot for a very long time so I doubt it.The neck joint shows light but the gap at the heel is less than .003" and tapers to 0. I can not detect any "looseness" at all in the neck joint as I put pressure on it. I'm wondering if this tiny gap may be from shrinkage and not loosness as that is what has caused the binding to blow off. Perhaps a re-set is not needed at this time. Any opinons? I have not had strings on it yet and am dying to hear it before I put it on the bench. I realize no one can guarantee that the neck won't bust off if I put 12's on it and tune it up, but I'd like opinions on my chances of the neck remaining stable long enough to play a few tunes before I get to work.
Attachments
IMG_0190-op.jpg
IMG_0188-op.jpg
Mark Swanson

Re: 1935 Epiphone Zenith Restoration

Post by Mark Swanson »

If it looks solid then go ahead and tune it up. Watch it as you bring it up to pitch, if something is moving you'll be able to see it. The neck is probably from shrinking if it's still on there tightly.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Don Linowski

Post by Don Linowski »

Mark,

Thank you for the input. 8-)
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

wow! Ill bet it smells like grandmas attic! Love it. Looks like it was loved in it's long life.
Don Linowski

Post by Don Linowski »

Yes, loved and cherished for a few years. The fretboard looks like the owner played everything in first position E. Then it was put away in some closet or grandmaws attic for a very long time. Perhaps used recently by someone who didn't know what they had as it was strung with nylon (OMG). All original as far as I can tell, including the hardshell case and a funky old capo. Trapeze, stap pin, tuning machines, inside label and pick guard intact. The ebony bridge has the serial # stamped on the bottom. I'm so stoked 8-)
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Nice find. Installing new binding without disturbing the original finish will be tedious and pains taking. First do no harm.

Put a straight edge on the fingerboard and project it to the bridge area, what is the distance between the straight edge and the top? It should be a minimum of 1/2" (13mm) and better if about 3/4" (20mm) or slightly more.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”