Finish repair

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Rob Ficalora

Finish repair

Post by Rob Ficalora »

I'm new here; introduced myself here... http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1861 but have a question about doing a finish repair on a 2nd hand Hofner my older son has. It's a very small ding, but it bugs him so I'd like to help him fix it. I've done a lot of woodworking but have limited experience repairing a finish (other than completely stirpping & refinishing). Is there a way to repair this ding without going that far? I've steamed out dents before, but not after a finish has been applied.
Hoffner ding.jpg
It's a chinese made Hofner if that helps identify what the finish is.
Steve Senseney

Re: Finish repair

Post by Steve Senseney »

I will start, but I expect other comments besides mine--

It would be best to live with this damage.

You could take a small tool and put further marks on the surface so that it has an even "vintage" appearance.

You can steam directly through finishes sometimes. However, it may damage the finish, and be cloudy in that spot even if you raise the wood underneath.

I only use French polish for my instrument finishing, so I don't have much experience with the commercial products that this would be finished with.

Is this area actually depressed, or is it more of a crack in the thick sprayed on finish?
Rob Ficalora

Post by Rob Ficalora »

It's more of a crack in the finish, but the wood below is slightly depressed. If I knew what the finish was (and assuming it's a poly or other harder finish, I'd probably just build it up with finish and and blend/polish it out. Wouldn't totally disappear but you'd have to be looking for it to see it. But I have no idea what was used originally.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

You might try contacting the distributor for the information you seek regarding the type of finish. I too suspect it is a poly and not easily blended. You get one chance to get it right, so do you risk swelling surrounding wood to get the dent to lift?

I would probably try CA to seal the fracture in the finish and let it go.

You MIGHT try to fill the dent with CA, and level it and polish, but as previously explained it is far too easy to make a small bit of damage look much worse.

One very important thing to remember is guitars are new only one time, after that they are no longer new.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”