CAD modeling archtop guitars

CAD/CAM/CNC - hardware and software and its uses in luthiery
Dean Coss

CAD modeling archtop guitars

Post by Dean Coss »

I guess I get to be the first person to post in this new subforum! I have used Fusion 360 for a while but I never really took a liking to it, but I just started using Solidworks recently and I love it. I’ve been looking around online for a tutorial on how to model an archtop guitar (specifically the body) and the only thing I could find was a crazy expensive DVD on the subject. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this and would be willing to share their knowledge on the process.
Simon Magennis

Re: CAD modeling archtop guitars

Post by Simon Magennis »

What do you consider "crazy expensive"? I had a search for DVD/downloads and the only ones I found were $120 & $160? I have no idea of whether the DVDs in question are good, bad, or indifferent. If they are OK, then they strike me as pretty good value.

I don't know if if any of the big DIY places in the US has anything similar. The French/International chain "LeRoy Merlin" has introduced 3D printing zones with machines where you can bring along you ideas and print them on the machines there getting help from the staff for every step of the process. I know CAD and 3D printing are not quite the same thing but modelling behind each must be pretty much the same, just the production is reversed - cutting instead of adding. Just a thought.
Dean Coss

Post by Dean Coss »

Yes, those are probably the same DVD’S that I came across. I just thought the prices were high for an instructional video. I am just surprised that I can’t find specific information like this for free online. I didn’t even see anything on Youtube either.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I would saw the norm for instructional DVDs in the guitar building is $250+
When you said expensive I was envisioning $750 or something like that. :-)

If I were interested in the subject, my only question would be if the material is good or now. Of the expensive luthier books I bought where I had "sticker shock" and postponed buying for years, my only regrets were that I hadn't bought them when I first got the idea. However, both had top class reviews and the authors had a profile as builders and had already published either you tube videos or articles that were available to you could get an idea.

I haven't looked in these DVDs beyond doing a quick search. I don't know enough about the theme to make any judgement based on the descriptions. I know so little that I don't have any clue about little I know. :-)
Mark Day

Post by Mark Day »

Dean, check out Two Cherries instruments youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/TwoCherriesIns
He uses Fusion 360, but you still might find some information useful.
I am struggling with Fusion right now myself trying to build a Les Paul. The CAM is driving me nuts. A lot of people use Fusion simply because you can get it free. Solidworks is probably a lot better but it's expensive unless you're a teacher/student and you still have to find a CAM program and those are stupid expensive for the most part. I looked around a lot trying to find something to replace Fusion and whenever I saw "call for a quote", I knew it cost more than I would ever be willing to spend!
Travis Brown

Post by Travis Brown »

Mark Day wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:23 am Dean, check out Two Cherries instruments youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/TwoCherriesIns
He uses Fusion 360, but you still might find some information useful.
I am struggling with Fusion right now myself trying to build a Les Paul. The CAM is driving me nuts. A lot of people use Fusion simply because you can get it free. Solidworks is probably a lot better but it's expensive unless you're a teacher/student and you still have to find a CAM program and those are stupid expensive for the most part. I looked around a lot trying to find something to replace Fusion and whenever I saw "call for a quote", I knew it cost more than I would ever be willing to spend!
I was just going to suggest the same thing by the time I got to the bottom of this thread. James Cherry does deep dives on his processes, always refining. He's solved a few modelling and machining issues for me in his YouTube posts before I've even encountered them irl. In the few times we've emailed back and forth, he's been really congenial and helpful. I think if you subscribe to his Patreon account, you get access to design files too.

He has a few series specifically on archtoppery using different methods for different instruments. You could probably glean enough from those to get you on the right track.
Robert Smallwood

Post by Robert Smallwood »

These are more affordable: https://www.luthiertool.com/cad_tutorials.html

They're in Rhino 3D but of course the input and output are the same so they might be helpful.

The style may not suit everybody, they're quite long,

Also for modelling necks in general the vids by Helix guitars are good but at times you have to infer what's behind the steps.. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLaPAeKPuqA

Return to “CAD/CAM/CNC - hardware and software and its uses in luthiery”