Resonator Ukes

Ukulele discussions
Greg Steil

Resonator Ukes

Post by Greg Steil »

Ideas/dimensions for "sound wells" for Reso Uke? I was thinking of just routing circles of plywood.
Chris Reed

Re: Resonator Ukes

Post by Chris Reed »

Plywood is a common choice. The important thing is to get the sound well and body really solid (and of course, different designs depending on what type of cone you are using).

I've only built one, and it sounds pretty good but weighs enough that I need a strap to play it standing.
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

I'm gonna go for as light as I can build it.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Greg Steil wrote:I'm gonna go for as light as I can build it.
Conventional wisdom says the opposite - you don't want the cone to flex while you're playing or it will distort.

This was my skeleton (pear-shaped body), ready for cladding.
2016-01-15 13.50.19.jpg
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Conventional wisdom may dictate otherwise, but a lightweight soundwell can be successful. The Brazilian Del Vecchio Dinamico uses a 1/8 inch thick bent plywood ring that sits on a longitudinal bar running from headblock to tailblock, with a ledge which supports the cone. These guitars have a beautiful tone. They have a "biscuit bridge" and lightweight aluminum cone. However, if you're looking for something more in the nature of a National or Dobro sound, then you may want to go with a heavier soundwell.
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

thanks folks!! 3/4" ply it will be!
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

I am going to build the body lightly though, since I already have the Koa thicknessed.

Return to “Ukuleles”