Crown? Clearance? Baritone uke

Ukulele discussions
Ron Daves

Crown? Clearance? Baritone uke

Post by Ron Daves »

I'm building a baritone ukelele for my wife. She's been trying to learn chords by using my classical guitar until her instrument is finished, however, her little fingers are suffering. So, I'm thinking that fret size is important. Can I use the fretwire left over from my classical build or should I go for mandolin fretwire?
I think I've already got an answer to my next question but would appreciate a comment: Necessary to crown the fretboard?
And lastly: How much string clearance?
Frustrated luthier wanna-be
Mike Crabbe

Re: Crown? Clearance? Baritone uke

Post by Mike Crabbe »

Ron - Do you mean radius the fretboard? I think ukes usually dont have a radius on the fb since it's so small and only 4 strings wide. For kicks, I sanded a 16" radius on a soprano uke fb - nearly invisible and not perceptible in playing. I suppose a baritone would be a little different - but still just the width of 4 strings...

Mike
Ron Daves

Post by Ron Daves »

Mike Crabbe wrote:Ron - Do you mean radius the fretboard?
Yes. That's what I mean.

How about the fretwire? I have enough of LMI's FW75, but am wondering if I should order the FW68. FW75 is higher and wider and I am thinking that Madam, given her tender fingers, may find it easier to use the smaller fretwire installation. What do you think?
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Ron, normally as Mike suggests you don't need to radius, but I have done it on a tenor and it worked nicely. It of course is a departure from a classical guitar as well as that would always be flat. Regarding the fret wire, although I haven't built a baritone, I've built quite a few tenors and the smaller fretwire is definitely a better idea than using the leftover wire you have just because you have it. On a short-scale instrument the size of the wire will impact both the way it plays and the intonation.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Ron Daves

Post by Ron Daves »

Thanks, Neal.
I ordered the smaller fretwire.
Bill Snyder

Post by Bill Snyder »

Interesting thought on the fretwire. Many mandolinist now are having larger wire used on their instruments because it is easier to fret than the small wire. Remember you don't push the strings down to the fretboard so wire that is a bit taller means less pressure is needed to fret the note cleanly.
I am not talking about using really big fretwire though.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

interesting...

I think the intonation issues are exacerbated by the nylon strings.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

Bill Snyder wrote:Interesting thought on the fretwire. Many mandolinist now are having larger wire used on their instruments because it is easier to fret than the small wire. Remember you don't push the strings down to the fretboard so wire that is a bit taller means less pressure is needed to fret the note cleanly.
I am not talking about using really big fretwire though.
Of course a lot of players, especially beginners press harder than necessary, fretting right to the board whether required or not.

Return to “Ukuleles”