Question about setting string tension when using a bridge

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
David Harrison

Question about setting string tension when using a bridge

Post by David Harrison »

Hello,

I'm trying to make a lyre, using harp strings.

I've got a nice program that lets me enter the information about the note I want, string material, length and diameter and gives me results about the tension.

What i'm a bit confused about is when it comes to me using a bridge. So I will have two string lengths, one is total and the other is vibrating length.

With the program do I work to my vibrating length or to total length? Will the program still work like this?

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks
Mark Swanson

Re: Question about setting string tension when using a bridge

Post by Mark Swanson »

I don't know what program you are using so I can't speak to that, but you need to be concerned with the vibrating length of the string. The other length has no bearing.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi David,
Your program should work fine. As Mark said it is the vibrating length you will use for your calculations. The bridge is stopping the string much as a fret would do on a guitar.
Jon Whitney

Post by Jon Whitney »

Can you share the name of the program? If it is freeware could you send it to the sysop to be put on the software library pages for download?
David Harrison

Post by David Harrison »

Thanks for the replies. I can't remember the name of the program but I'll find out and post back with it.
David Harrison

Post by David Harrison »

The program is here http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... nganalysis

I had to actually do a paypal transaction of 0.00 to get it. I might not have done this correctly though. Though its for harps, I think its also compatible for other instruments, you can select which string material as part of the process.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”