Pete Seeger Long neck banjo...

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Tom Owen

Pete Seeger Long neck banjo...

Post by Tom Owen »

So pretty straight forward. A 32" scale banjo. The rim is one I bought many years ago and never used. The neck (I made) is Sapele. Very cool to be able to play in open E :D
Attachments
psl 2.jpg
psl 1.jpg
Karl Wicklund

Re: Pete Seeger Long neck banjo...

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I’ve always appreciated that quote on his banjo heads. Anything special about the rim? Where did you get it?
Kaptain Karl
Tom Owen

Post by Tom Owen »

Nothing special, it was a one off from Stew Mac maybe 10-12 years ago. It is a multi lam rim and only 5/8 thick, which I like for an open back. Also just a simple brass tone ring. When I bought it (I think about $30) I had no idea what I was going to use it for, but couldn't pass up the deal. The quote actually started with Woody Guthrie in the WW II era he wrote on his guitar that "this machine kills fascists" By the way it was his birthday 5 days ago. :)
Frank Dryer III

Post by Frank Dryer III »

Tom Owen wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:35 pm So pretty straight forward. A 32" scale banjo. The rim is one I bought many years ago and never used. The neck (I made) is Sapele. Very cool to be able to play in open E :D
Wow! I would never have thought that there are such varieties of banjo :o I would like to play on it! I'm a student and I love to practice my classic guitar skills on other "guitar like" instruments 8-)

Where I can buy it? I will send this link to friends in musescore community- https://musescore.com/community :P
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

Beautiful! Love the quote as well.

Are the strings kind of loose or do you use special heavy strings?
Dick Hutchings
Tom Owen

Post by Tom Owen »

Thanks for the comments... I just used standard med gauge strings with no issues. The banjo is not for sale, being retired now, I build for myself and only take the occasional custom order when I feel like it. :D

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”