Calculate lengths for sympathetic strings

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.

Calculate lengths for sympathetic strings

Postby Jeremy Osner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:06 am

How would I calculate string lengths for sympathetic strings? I'd like to have 13 sympathetic strings all of the same weight of wire and with diatonic pitches.
Jeremy Osner

Re: Calculate lengths for sympathetic strings

Postby Bob Gramann » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Two or three pages into this http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf is the formula for pitch vs strength length and weight. You can get the unit weight for a given string size by looking further into the document. The parameters for the D’Addario strings are pretty close to thosee for other manufacturers, so this information should get you close enough. When I use the formula to help in string size selection, I put it into a spreadsheet so that the arithmetic is automatic and I can make a table of my conjectures. Happy calculations!
Bob Gramann

Re: Calculate lengths for sympathetic strings

Postby Jeremy Osner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:03 pm

thanks!
Jeremy Osner

Return to Other Stringed Instruments