Uke neck angle

Ukulele discussions
Kary Karahadian

Uke neck angle

Post by Kary Karahadian »

Do most build with no neck angle? The plans i'm working from have the neck and top co-planar. seems like i'll end up with a very thin fretboard if i shoot for 10-12mm off the top at the saddle and 2mm above the fret crown at the 12th.
Chris Reed

Re: Uke neck angle

Post by Chris Reed »

No neck angle for most of my builds.

2mm above the fret crown is rather low for nylon strings, as if you dig in at all you'll get buzz/rattle of strings on frets. For a beginner I'd give them 3mm, droppable to 2.5mm once they become a little more delicate in their playing.

This gives you fretboard height + 5-6 mm at the saddle, which is a saddle 9-10mm above the top. Pretty much perfect for a uke (soprano, concert or tenor) - I find the workable range for saddle height above the top is 6-12mm.

If this is your first uke then be suspicious that your plans will build it too heavy. Spruce/cedar tops should end up around 2mm, hardwood around 1.8mm or evenness if they are very stiff (this is particularly critical for a soprano, otherwise it's likely to sound flat and dull). Sides and back 1.8mm or less. Bracing as small as you dare!
Kary Karahadian

Re: Uke neck angle

Post by Kary Karahadian »

Thanks Chris!

Return to “Ukuleles”