Gibson F-5 Mandolin body depth.

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Murray MacLeod

Gibson F-5 Mandolin body depth.

Post by Murray MacLeod »

Looking at the LMII site, which offers drawings of the F-5, I see that the body depth is given as 2.625". Would I be correct in assuming that this is the maximum depth, ie between the arch-most points on the soundboard and the back, and if so, does anybody know what the width (or depth if you prefer) of the ribs is, and whether the rib width remains constant all the way round, or tapers slightly from neck block to tail block ?
Rodger Knox

Re: Gibson F-5 Mandolin body depth.

Post by Rodger Knox »

The StewMac plan has 1 3/8" for the height of the ribs, with no taper.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Murray MacLeod

Post by Murray MacLeod »

Thanks, Roger.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Finished height including bindings on the top and back plates is 42mm - 45mm (close to 1 3/4") on the ones I have measured. Some folks think this difference is due to the backs having been sawed off to install Virzis, thus losing the width of the kerf. Binding is 3/16" on each plate. I think the 1 3/8" for the rib is a good finished measurement, ready for the plates to be attached.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Michael Lewis wrote:Some folks think this difference is due to the backs having been sawed off to install Virzis, thus losing the width of the kerf.
I thought it was more common to remove the Virzi (perform a "Virziectomi"), rather than install one in mandolins that came without it? I saw a comment on Mandolin Cafe about this, it compared it to "... like signing up for a root canal on your only good tooth". :D
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Arnt, this was supposedly done at the factory after the bodies were together. It's been discussed by some very well respected vintage instrument experts and no proof one way or another has been offered other than educated speculation.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”