Zithers?

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Dan Warren

Zithers?

Post by Dan Warren »

I'm looking into the idea of building a German-style zither. Anybody out there ever built one of these?
1) I'm curious as to the way the top is supported. Is it braced (and how)?
2) does the fretboard sit on top of the soundboard like a mountain dulcimer, or is it more like a neck-through construction that the soundboard sits on top of?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Steve Senseney

Re: Zithers?

Post by Steve Senseney »

I haven't built one, don't have a "German" zither, but I have repaired and seen a couple of items made in New Jersey in a factory that made a lot of these items.

They are generally a frame with one area on the one side for a pin block, and another side or area where the ends of the strings are held.

The back is a simple solid piece of wood, most likely an inexpensive hardwood like soft maple or gumwood.

There is a bridge somewhere and a saddle which is made of simple wire.

One the several instruments I have owned and seen, no internal bracing is used.

A sound hole is incorporated into the design somewhere.

The pinblock is not usually laminated, but if you are building a better quality instrument, that would be a simple improvement to make.

I have seen all sorts of layout patterns, with a section for cords, and a section of chromatic strings, some with an overlay of one set of strings on top of another.

Did you have a specific instrument in mind?

When I google "german zither" all sorts of designs show up.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

I made a concert zither a few years back using GAL plan #41. Steve pretty much got all the answers. The top was relatively thick (~0.25") and is often veneered.

Some photos from the library: http://www.mimf.com/library/Charlie_Sch ... -2011.html
Dan Warren

Post by Dan Warren »

Thanks. The GAL plan looks pretty much exactly like what I was thinking of. Charlie, that's a great looking instrument.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

The Paul Hasluck book "Violins and other stringed instruments and how to make them" has a section on zither building. The Kindle version is probably worth the price but the price for a hard cover is probably not worth it.
Nicholas Blanton

Post by Nicholas Blanton »

I have an old 19th century Bavarian one. The top and soundboard seem to be relatively thin spruce ( guitar thickness) veneered with rosewood, but it seems quite heavily braced.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”