First attempt at a stringed instrument.

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Andy Gleeson

First attempt at a stringed instrument.

Post by Andy Gleeson »

This is my first attempt at a stringed instrument, a stick type dulcimer roughly based on photos found on the web.
Scale length is 650mm currently tuned dad.

Materials are neck beech, sides sapele, back sapele and beech, soundboard western red cedar. headstock veneer yew, and fingerboard walnut, all of which apart from the cedar were hanging around in the
workshop.

It has worked out suprisingly well considering that little up front design occured. The sound is good, low end responce is best it tails off a bit towards the top end but is still quite acceptable.
The biggest problem is that the strings run quite low over the soundboard, meaning that I cannot lower the bridge to give a better action height without reducing the angle over the bridge too much. I could also do with a bit more of an angle over the nut.

I am going to build another more or less the same to correct the problems with the first build, the next one will have the neck angled back slightly and a few other minor changes, then on to something a bit more ambitious!
Attachments
dul1c.jpg
dul1b.jpg
dul1a.jpg
Jason Rodgers

Re: First attempt at a stringed instrument.

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Finishing an instrument is ambitious for me: good on ya! That's a fun lil' twanger.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Patrick Hanna

Re: First attempt at a stringed instrument.

Post by Patrick Hanna »

Hey, Andy,
I agree with Jason. I think you've got yourself a cool looking little gizmo there. I like those long, taped lines and I think the black bushings on your tuners look very cool with that simple head shape. I dig it!
Patrick

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”