Oud building video

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Josh Humphrey

Oud building video

Post by Josh Humphrey »

It's been a while since I posted here, and I would like to share this video.

Some students from the U of Oregon were doing a documentary project and wanted to get the construction of an instrument from start to finish.

They were able to film most stages of construction of a recent Turkish oud I was building. They did a great job framing the shots, blocking and editing and I think the resulting video is really well made.

And, you get to see my build process from log (the bowl wood is Apple, harvested form my backyard 8 years ago) all the way to (un)finished oud.

I hope you enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/61993208
Attachments
Tail inlay detail
Tail inlay detail
Bob Gramann

Re: Oud building video

Post by Bob Gramann »

Wow! Thank you for sharing that. I love watching how other builders do things. Nice instrument.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Josh, this is really nice. The video is very well done and it is always nice to see the high quality work you do. I love the hanging 'stack' of sound hole cutouts.

Looks like you have a budding luthier there!
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Very cool. Nice playing, and great looking oud.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Super cool! If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video can be priceless. Lots of good sequences of the stave construction. A thumbs-up to those Ducks who produced the video. And the guy playing wasn't too bad, either!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Josh, I meant to ask in my previous post about the thickness of the staves you're bending. How does bending apple compare with other things you've done?
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Very nice Josh, both the video and the instrument. I watched it twice. I liked the way they ended it by showing you playing the piece of music we listened to during the show. Cool!
Josh Humphrey

Post by Josh Humphrey »

Thanks all- I'm glad you're enjoying it! I was really impressed by their editing and film work.

Neal- I took the apple down to about .088" , but after gluing I probably scraped off another 10-15 mils. It bent quite easily, but it tended to have a quite a bit of springback, so I would go back and rebend everything, some staves even twice.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”