I need advice on removing a bridge

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Gary Gill

I need advice on removing a bridge

Post by Gary Gill »

I made this solid body tenor ukulele using a MiSi Acoustic Trio pick up. I apparently drilled the string holes in the bridge too large or too close to the bridge top surface. The #1 (A) string has started to rupture and I can see a crack forming. I attached the bridge to bare wood using super glue gel. What is the best way to remove the bridge from the top? I have considered setting up a jig and routing it off.

Thanks
Gary
Steve Senseney

Re: I need advice on removing a bridge

Post by Steve Senseney »

You might plug the holes and redrill them. You could set your router, cut across the top of the bridge at the area where the string holes are, and place a strip of bone or contrasting wood.

If you have to get the bridge off, your router or a hand plane might be your best choice.
Gary Gill

Post by Gary Gill »

I like the idea.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

If you really want to remove it, I'd use a hand plane. A router is awfully aggressive and you risk damaging the instrument. But, that said, I would follow Steve's advice and 'inlay' a strip of contrasting hardwood and re-drill.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
G.S. Monroe

Post by G.S. Monroe »

Have you considered drilling out the holes a bit larger and installing string ferrules?

Here I made nice black ferrules from some plastic bridge end pins.
Gary Gill

Post by Gary Gill »

G.S. Monroe wrote:Have you considered drilling out the holes a bit larger and installing string ferrules?
I have not. The hole from the backside of the bridge is about 9/64 diameter. The intersecting hole from the top is about .050 diameter on 30 degree angle. I didn't leave enough material for strength.

I made a two bridges like this and I will take the other one to practice routing a slot for an inlay as suggested in a previous reply.

That is a very nice setup you have there.
Gary Gill

Post by Gary Gill »

I replaced the bridge and refinished the top. Sold it to a gentleman in Florida.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”