Polk-a-Lay-lees and Treholipees

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Alan Peterson

Polk-a-Lay-lees and Treholipees

Post by Alan Peterson »

OK, I'm sorry but I just have to ask... How did the manufacturers of the Polk-a-lay-lee and the Treholipee bend the necks of their "instruments"? Were they sawn or steam-bent?

And is anyone making and selling those little plastic screw-down fretboards these days?

Polk-a-lay-lee:
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/im ... _front.jpg

Treholipee:
http://www.jackbenny.org/Pix/Cast/Other ... remley.jpg
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Jon Whitney

Re: Polk-a-Lay-lees and Treholipees

Post by Jon Whitney »

I have no idea about the bends in the neck (or even what purpose they serve other than to disembowel your opponent) but I'll bet they are sawn not bent, simply due to the cheap gimmicky nature (not that there's anything wrong with that) of the instruments.

As far as the other question, I was just thinking about that the other day. I don't know of a source, but I came up with a method: You make yourself a nice standard fretboard from wood and fretwire, get the frets nice and level and crowned and dressed, and then use it to cast a mold, which could then be used to cast a plastic replica of the fretboard using resin of some kind. If you use a high-temperature resistant silicone rubber compound for the mold you could probably even use a thermoset plastic resin that requires setting temperatures of 400 degrees F. or so. Of course this was just a "thought experiment" so take it with a grain of salt.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Ford had a comment or two on Frets.com claiming the long spear was to stick into the sand as it was a beach party instrument.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

The Polk-a-lay-lee neck is actually 2 pieces, not bent, but laminated together and cut out, then stained. The seam actually can show quite a bit.

I'll try to post a picture later if I can as I have a polk-a-lay-lee taken apart that I'm re-building. I've already sanded down the neck and stained it much darker but I'll see if I can get a good enough pic to show the construction.

Parts are really hard to come by for these. I'm seriously considering *not* putting the plastic fretboard back on, but replacing it with a 'real' one.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Alan Peterson

Post by Alan Peterson »

Neal Carey wrote: I have a polk-a-lay-lee taken apart that I'm re-building.
For your own enjoyment and amusement, I presume? I wouldn't think Polk-a-lay-lee restorations are a big moneymaker.
Alan Peterson
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Neal Carey wrote:The Polk-a-lay-lee neck is actually 2 pieces, not bent, but laminated together and cut out, then stained. The seam actually can show quite a bit.

I'll try to post a picture later if I can as I have a polk-a-lay-lee taken apart that I'm re-building. I've already sanded down the neck and stained it much darker but I'll see if I can get a good enough pic to show the construction.

Parts are really hard to come by for these. I'm seriously considering *not* putting the plastic fretboard back on, but replacing it with a 'real' one.
Unless you are working in a Lawrence Welk tribute band . . .
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

Howdy, while attending The Willow Folk Festival in Northwest Illinois, a pal came over with a young lady who said that as a young girl, she remembered her father "designing" the Polkalele at their kitchen table. They were in Chicago, and I don't remember if he worked for Polk Brothers Furniture or not. Anyway, I had one missing a peg, laying about the premises, and I sent it to her Mom. I have a pal with two of them in his music store. I thought about making a mold for the peg, and casting in resin(Alumalite). I'm willing to bet they were all made by Harmony anyway.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Alan Peterson wrote:
Neal Carey wrote: I have a polk-a-lay-lee taken apart that I'm re-building.
For your own enjoyment and amusement, I presume? I wouldn't think Polk-a-lay-lee restorations are a big moneymaker.
Yes, indeed. It isn't always about making money, this is just a hobby anyway. If it were a really good condition vintage instrument I wouldn't touch it, but I thought I'd do something funky with it to amuse the members of the 'uke club I belong to.
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Alan, here are the pictures I promised you. First the full neck with circles around the jointed areas, then a couple closeups. You can probably tell that it is just pine. Following are 2 pics of the body 'improvements' (or not depending on your perspective) where I'm veneering over the cheesy plywood body.
Attachments
body
body
body
body
neck joint
neck joint
neck joint
neck joint
Neck with highlights
Neck with highlights
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Inlay on this one Neal?
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

Entirely possible Bob! I suppose it would have to be some kind of surfin' theme?
Alan Peterson

Post by Alan Peterson »

I think I know why they added a curved neck to the thing. It has nothing to do with style or appearance. Its actually a boomerang.

You can't throw the !@#$ thing away because it keeps coming back to you. :D
Alan Peterson

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”