Electric lute

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Mark Day

Electric lute

Post by Mark Day »

I'm in the planning stages for an electric lute in the vein of the electric ouds you see floating around. I want it primarily for practicing while I'm out & about without disturbing others (not everyone appreciates early music....or my playing!)
It will be a 7-course, 60cm scale length. I will likely make it out of some maple that i have on hand from Michigan Hardwoods.
Here is an example of an electric oud:
http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=43219
My lute will by along these lines accept for the number of courses and it will have frets.
I'm looking for suggestions for tuning machines, and pickup/preamp, and anything else anyone has to offer in the way of advice!

Thanks as always,

Mark
Roderick Jenkins

Re: Electric lute

Post by Roderick Jenkins »

Hi Mark,

I think the example you show is very interesting, Naor seems to have got it about right. As a lute player I would want to replicate the depth of the body so the playing position would feel similar to the "real" thing -a single central rib ought to do it, perhaps hinged so that it can be folded flat for ease of transport.

Regards,

Rod
Ferenc Kudasz

Re: Electric lute

Post by Ferenc Kudasz »

Hi Mark,

I understand the purpose of your electric lute is training with traditional feel, which it is different from mine making an electric koboz (kind of "folk lute": same design but less strings and no frets). However, you may get some inspiration concerning the headstock issue. Sticking to the a traditional angled headstock would create an L-shaped instrument that is not good to transport and also lack the balance in two axis.

See link for pictures:
http://guitarz.blogspot.hu/2011/11/elec ... ngary.html

Good luck and keep the Forum informed.
Regards,
Ferenc
Amateur

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”