I built a simple Scandinavian Psalmodikon

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
David Smith

I built a simple Scandinavian Psalmodikon

Post by David Smith »

A while back I built a simple Scandinavian Psalmodikon (or Psalmodicon). It is composed of a simple rectangular wooden box with raised fretboard and has a single metal string. It is usually played by bowing and was used to accompany church hymns in poor rural churches. One unusual feature is the sawtooth fretboard. Another feature is the numberboard that lays next to the fretboard, numbers on the fretboard correspond to the numbered music that was used. I was worried that the jagged (sawtooth) fretboard would be difficult to finger smoothly, but have found that it is very easy to play. Here are some photos.
I also made a video of a couple of tunes, so you can take a look and listen here: https://youtu.be/AgkWo0y5Q5c

David Smith
Dearborn, Michigan
Attachments
aIMG_9946_l.jpg
aIMG_9945_l.jpg
aIMG_9363_r.jpg
aIMG_9357_l.jpg
aIMG_9342_r.jpg
Karl Wicklund

Re: I built a simple Scandinavian Psalmodikon

Post by Karl Wicklund »

How well does that fret board hold up against the string pressure? I have only held one of these once, and that was years ago. It seems like the string would dig in to those edges.
Kaptain Karl
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Karl Wicklund wrote:How well does that fret board hold up against the string pressure? I have only held one of these once, and that was years ago. It seems like the string would dig in to those edges.
Karl, I haven't played my instrument all that much and I don't see any wear, but my gut feeling is that the metal string pressing against the wood fret edges won't show much wear even with a lot of playing. I have looked at photos of may old Psalmodikons and I haven't seen any evidence of edge wear.
Erick Vitalis

Post by Erick Vitalis »

I am looking to build a psalmodikon, and like the style you built, down to the sawtooth fingerboard. Can you post the plans for that one for a reference? Just not a lot of information for folks wanting to get started in building one in the traditional style. Thanks. Erick
Anthony Wilson

Post by Anthony Wilson »

Seems like a good choice for fretboard lumber would be something hard and heavy like Ipe as it would look the part but hold up well if one was worried about wear.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Very cool!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”