A Chinese Guqin

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Bob King

A Chinese Guqin

Post by Bob King »

Does any one have or know where to get plans for a Guqin ? I have seen them on "you tube" and watch them made but could use a set of plans. Probly won't do all the steps as it is said there are 100 of them . But just for fun a one time build.

Tom Snape

Re: A Chinese Guqin

Post by Tom Snape »

I hope to build a guqin at some point. I examined and handled some in Chengdu China a few years back. The closest thing I have found to a plan is a book called "Abiding with Antiquity", which is an English translation from an 1855 Chinese text. (ISBN 978-1-4303-0346-6). I even have my set of silk strings and my deer horn to grind into powder ready. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone knows of an actual plan.

I have not been able to figure out where to obtain a suitable piece of wood for the top half. To stay with tradition it should be a good piece of paulownia, at least 49" long, 1.25" thick, and about 7.5" wide.

Tom Snape

Post by Tom Snape »

Bob, check out the second photo at this link. Pretty close to a plan. It gives a lot more dimensions than I've seen anywhere else:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collectio ... /180015292

And they have similar drawings for some other guqins.

Bob King

Post by Bob King »

Thanks that site of the Met helps with the overall size . I will do more searching , and most likely will not start on one until spring so have plenty of time . The note buttons are not given , I guess I will make those with a tuner and temp string after the top is on and before the finish is applied. At least that is now the plan, got to gather the wood.

Tom Snape

Post by Tom Snape »

There are 13 of them, called "hui". The book I referenced doesn't say how to lay them out.

Here is some help:

https://blog.nyl.io/guqin-part-1-harmon ... most%20dot.