7 course renaissance lute

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jo Dusepo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

7 course renaissance lute

Post by Jo Dusepo »

Completed this week. Took a little longer than usual due to stopping for the recent holidays. Built this for a customer in Sweden.

Image
I specialise in historical & world instruments.
https://www.dusepo.co.uk

User avatar
Karl Wicklund
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 am
Location: NW Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Another nice job! What woods did you use for the staves?
Kaptain Karl

User avatar
Jo Dusepo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Jo Dusepo »

Karl Wicklund wrote:Another nice job! What woods did you use for the staves?
This one has maple and meranti ribs. The customer asked for alternating colours.
I specialise in historical & world instruments.
https://www.dusepo.co.uk

Marshall Dixon
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: SW Oregon

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Marshall Dixon »

The contrasting colors work well. I'm not sure which colors to believe of the two backs, but I'm colorblind anyway.

I haven't heard much Renaissance music outside of Monteverdi, which didn't capture my heart. But I know that Resphigi's Ancient Airs and Dances were transcriptions of, or influenced by the lute music of the Renaissance. (Don't know exactly; just my recollection of the liner notes of my recording.) I love those pieces.

A beautiful instrument you made. It's inspired me to listen to some of that old time stuff.

p.s. what wood did you use for the tuning pegs?

User avatar
Jo Dusepo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Jo Dusepo »

Marshall Dixon wrote:The contrasting colors work well. I'm not sure which colors to believe of the two backs, but I'm colorblind anyway.

I haven't heard much Renaissance music outside of Monteverdi, which didn't capture my heart. But I know that Resphigi's Ancient Airs and Dances were transcriptions of, or influenced by the lute music of the Renaissance. (Don't know exactly; just my recollection of the liner notes of my recording.) I love those pieces.

A beautiful instrument you made. It's inspired me to listen to some of that old time stuff.

p.s. what wood did you use for the tuning pegs?
If you're looking to get into that stuff, the obvious choice would be John Dowland, but I usually prefer the earlier stuff like Francesco Da Milano, Tielman Susato, Michael Praetorius, Marco Dall'Aquila, Guillaume de Morlaye, Luis De Milan, Luis de Narvaez, Enriquez de Valderrabano, Miguel de Fuenllana, Alonso Mudarra, Adrian Le Roy, etc.

Anyway, the pegs are boxwood.
I specialise in historical & world instruments.
https://www.dusepo.co.uk

Marshall Dixon
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Location: SW Oregon

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Marshall Dixon »

Thanks for the recommendations. I have several transcriptions in various anthologies. About 30 years ago I picked up Frederick Noad's ”The Renaissance Guitar” and tried some of those pieces. I couldn't get them to sound right. Now with the internet it's much easier to get another perspective.

Brian Evans
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:26 am
Location: Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Brian Evans »

7 courses, 13 strings. Which string is not doubled, and why? You have me very curious! :)

User avatar
Jo Dusepo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Jo Dusepo »

Brian Evans wrote:7 courses, 13 strings. Which string is not doubled, and why? You have me very curious! :)
The highest course is called the chanterelle and is always single on lutes. It's for playing faster passages.
I specialise in historical & world instruments.
https://www.dusepo.co.uk

User avatar
Jo Dusepo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: 7 course renaissance lute

Post by Jo Dusepo »

Here's another one I built:
Image
and here's how it sounds in the customer's hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZBCwOfxas
I specialise in historical & world instruments.
https://www.dusepo.co.uk

Post Reply