2012 Marylhurst University Musical Instrument Makers' Show

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.

2012 Marylhurst University Musical Instrument Makers' Show

Postby Chet Bishop » Sun May 06, 2012 1:32 am

Here are a few photos from the show:

This is how the room looked with just the makers present. We had 500+ people show up each day.

This fellow (standing, below) is Bob Oswald-- he asked me to coach him through building his first violin...we hope to begin this summer. Notice the empty space on the table directly in front of me-- the five-string fiddle was out being played, again.

This is how our table looked before anyone started showing up.
Since the five-string fiddle ultimately sold, I have begun another one just like it. I hope to have it done by mid June.
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon
Chet Bishop

Re: 2012 Marylhurst University Musical Instrument Makers' Show

Postby Jason Rodgers » Sun May 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Those are some good shots, Chet. I didn't realize you were a MIMF-er, or I would have stopped by to say hello. I probably walked by your table 4 times!

I had gone with the intention of doing some photo-documentation of this great little show to post here. Turns out, I only took one picture. Look folks, it's David King! And this is the bass that appeared on the first color cover of American Lutherie!
Attachments
DSC01209red.jpg
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Jason Rodgers

Postby Chet Bishop » Sun May 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Well--I saw Mr. King many times, but was busy at our table, so I never knew what he made. Sorry you didn't stop by. I did talk to two or three from Maestronet, as I used to spend time over there...but that's all.
Chet Bishop
Forest Grove, Oregon
Chet Bishop

Postby Chet Bishop » Mon May 07, 2012 1:53 pm

BTW, this is the five-string that sold at the show:

Nothing fancy-- just maple and spruce. Sounded good, though.
Chet Bishop
Forest Grove, Oregon
Chet Bishop

Return to Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows