Alternate strings to Dominants?

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
John E Giarrizzo

Alternate strings to Dominants?

Post by John E Giarrizzo »

I've been mostly using Dominants to string up newly completed violins. I've read that they are the standard for determing how a violin should perform.

Is there a less expensive string that could do this? Like I've said in previous posts, I do not sell my instruments. Make 'em, and put them on the shelf. Twenty violins now --- that's about $1000 in strings doing nothing.

I know. I know. Maybe I should try selling a few. Maybe these last two. but being a nobody, could not get what they are worth to me. Told my kids to enjoy it --- they'd be worth millions some day after I'm "gone" <g>.

Been considering Corelli Crystal. Half the price.

Thanks,

John
Bob Gramann

Re: Alternate strings to Dominants?

Post by Bob Gramann »

I've never used anything but the Dominants (with a Pirastro e). Southwest Strings is a little cheaper than most for those strings but they are pricy. If you try the Corelli strings, please let us know how they worked.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi John,
One possible solution would be to remove the dominants from some of your less played fiddles (put crystals on them) and use them on your new fiddles. This would allow you to have a "standard" reference to judge the new fiddle and still save a few bucks. When a fiddle sits on the shelf the strings all perform about the same. <G>
It has been awhile since I've bought violin strings. When I visited the site Bob suggested I was amazed to see what they cost now. I used to buy Pirastro Eudoxa sets when perlon was kind of a new thing and not as widely accepted. Funny how things change.
John E Giarrizzo

Thanks Bob.

Been reading post after post after review after review about string brands. Different strings for different instruments for different styles for different bows. I kind of knew that my question was unanswerable.

Have a week or two waiting for the varnish to cure on latest. Don't know what I'll put on them yet. Actually, would have to try both string brands to compare, and then I probably wouldn't know which is "better". Not a violin "expert". I saw an online review of a 99 dollar cheapy Chinese violin. The guy played it, and if you would have told me it was a Strativarios, I would have believed you.

Maybe not worth the few dollars saved to go against Dominants.
John E Giarrizzo

Clay,

You posted as I was posting Bob's reply.

Your suggestion is probably the best way to determine the answer. I was also concerned about how strings age just sitting there not played year after year. Which is one of the reasons I wanted a more inexpensive string.

Thanks for the suggestion. I also am amazed at the cost of violin strings. Why can you buy a set of guitar stings --- high quality for ten bucks or less -- even 12 string sets? Before I retired was in Engineering. Can't figure out why. Actually can. Supply and demand and perception.
Brad Dorsey

Post by Brad Dorsey »

John E Giarrizzo wrote:I've been mostly using Dominants to string up newly completed violins. I've read that they are the standard for determing how a violin should perform.

Is there a less expensive string that could do this?...
I also mostly use Dominants. When I want something cheaper I usually use D'Addario Pro Artes which also have Perlon cores.
DonLeister

Post by DonLeister »

One of my suppliers, Nova Strings, suggested Tonica heavies as a substitute for
Dominants so I ordered some, I like them. I had used Tonica regulars as a substitute and liked them also.
Don

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”