New Five-String Fiddle on the Way

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Chet Bishop

New Five-String Fiddle on the Way

Post by Chet Bishop »

I recently had a person call me and ask whether I could build a 5-string fiddle of primarily Oregon woods (Sure!)

I was about to start a stay-at-home vacation from my regular job, during the Christmas season, so I decided to get going on the new project. I have begun chronicling the build, here, if anyone is interested:
https://fivestringfiddles.com/2020/01/0 ... beginning/

I will continue to post progress reports, there.

I think it will be a very good fiddle, but the Big-leaf maple is some of the wildest-grained wood I have ever worked with. Looks great, of course, but a bit of a pain to work with. :-)
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon

Bob Francis

Re: New Five-String Fiddle on the Way

Post by Bob Francis »

Chet,
Please do continue your documentary it is impressive.

Chet Bishop

Re: New Five-String Fiddle on the Way

Post by Chet Bishop »

Bob, if you look at the top of the page, there is a tab for "Books": there is a photo-story there of a whole five-string fiddle, which you may find enjoyable. It is in a pdf format, so you can download the whole thing if you want, or read it online, I suppose. It's about 135 pages...

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the little bit I have already posted, and I will add to it as things get done. (It will slow to a crawl, now that I am going back to work. Sorry.)

Chet
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon