Archtop Build Journal - Fifth Edition

Mike Conner

Archtop Build Journal - Fifth Edition

Post by Mike Conner »

I have continued to build and learn since posting my original Archtop Build Journal.
The original thread is here:
http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3905

The Archtop Build Journal - Fifth Edition can be found here:
http://www.mimf.com/Builds/Archtop%20Bu ... dition.pdf

Updates for this edition:
- More details on plate carving.
- Details on neck carving including step-by-step photos.
- Our first sunburst finish attempt using Transtint dyes on guitar Number 7.

As before, the latest changes are identified with [5th] designations. I hope the Journal encourages others to consider trying building!
N7-220 Front right  sun HD.JPG
//mike
Steve Sawyer

Re: Archtop Build Journal - Fifth Edition

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Mike - thanks for the update.

I'm "only an egg" when it comes to guitar building (mid-project on my first solid-body), but like you as a longtime woodworker and guitar-player I'd love to someday tackle something like your archtop project. I have to ask since you don't mention it in your journal - was this your first guitar build? If not, what prior experience did you have before tackling this project?
==Steve==
Mike Conner

Post by Mike Conner »

Steve:
I had done maybe 100's of setups, dozens of pickup installations, etc. but had never tried to build an instrument, even from a kit. Woould have been easier to perhaps build a solid body (I've got a soft spot for Tele's) but just wanted to go all in. So, the first edition of the Journal was truly the first time build(s). The following editions are an attempt to capture what I learned as I completed more instruments, and I purposely left the original content alone so that the progression can be seen by anyone who is interested.
//mike
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Mike - that lends your journal even more value.

I'm a long way from trying my hand at that kind of build, but since my shop is STILL not functioning (see my post in the Jam Session forum for THAT story...) I'll probably work my way through your journal to see how it's all done.

Great job on that BTW and thanks again!
==Steve==
Mike Conner

Post by Mike Conner »

Steve,
The Bennedetto archtop book is really valuable, but a lot of steps and details are only lightly touched or not covered - understandable when you are making page count and other cost decisions for conventional print publishing. I wanted to document what I discovered along the way, and attempt to give something back for all the great information found on forums. Self publishing electronically means that really only available time is my limitation. I hope you find the Journal useful!
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

wow Mike I have just downloaded this, thank you for this great resource. Cheers, Bob
Mike Conner

Post by Mike Conner »

Just checking in on the Journal threads. I have started on the Sixth Edition but it will be a while before it has enough addtions to justify posting.

PM me if you want the higher resolution version of the Journal via email.

I have just started an F mandolin build. This will push my skills further due to that pesky scroll and elaborate headstock design. I will probably create a new journal just for mandolins.

As I have posted before, I hope this information gives something back for all I have gained from internet forums. Sharpen your tools and build something!
//mike
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Thanks Mike!
Looking forward to them.

Return to “Detailed Builds/Tutorials”