Squareneck Resonator - Detailed Build Notes

Mike Conner
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Murphy NC
Contact:

Re: Squareneck Resonator - Detailed Build Notes

Post by Mike Conner »

We made our own binding from a 0.250" thick curly maple board and 0.050" thick walnut, glued with Titebond 3. Sliced off the binding strips 0.075" thick on the table saw. Got about a dozen binding strips from this one glue up.
D047 - Binding Blank - Curly Maple and Walnut.jpg
After treating overnight with SuperSoft 2, four strips of binding were bent on the hot pipe just like we did the sides. Clamped to the mold to set for a couple of days. Was a bit concerned with this glued up binding and the curly wood, but likely due to the SuperSoft everything was controllable and smooth.
D048 - Bent Bindings in Mold.jpg

Mike Conner
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Murphy NC
Contact:

Re: Squareneck Resonator - Detailed Build Notes

Post by Mike Conner »

This is the binding rig I used for the archtop instruments. The body is clamped on the rims with padded bolts in threaded inserts in the blocks attached to the 3/4" plywood frame. With my archtops, the rims are a uniform depth around the perimeter (2-7/8" for a guitar), and the arched plates extend into the open hole in the frame. A trim router is mounted in the tower, and the Stew-Mac binding bit with bearings is installed in the router. The guitar body in the frame slides around on the bench surface as I feed the body into the bit.
D050 - Binding Jig for Archtops.jpg
Unfortunately, due to the taper of the sides from neck to tail, and the 25" radius arch of the back, this setup doesn't work for the resonator guitar body. I could not get the elevation to be precise enough relative to the binding bit.

The trim router came with a round base. This means a semi freehand cut while the router base rides on the plates.
D051 - Round base on trim router.jpg
At least the frame and clamps provided stable support for routing, and this ended up working really well.
D052 - Binding and Purfling Ledges completed.jpg

Mike Conner
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Murphy NC
Contact:

Re: Squareneck Resonator - Detailed Build Notes

Post by Mike Conner »

My lovely and patient bride Dianne helped wrangle the tape as we trimmed and glued the binding and purflings. Titebond original applied with a trimmed flux brush. This Scotch Edgelok tape is thicker and stronger than typical blue masking tape, and holds up well to pulling the binding tight.
D053 - Glue and taped bindings.jpg
A tip in removing the tape: warm the tape with a household hair dryer. Makes a big difference in releasing the tape, and especially to reduce the risk of pulling fibers from spruce plates.

The bindings and purfling are sanded flush to the plates and sides on the sanding station and ROS sander.
D054 - Binding Completed.jpg
I did not attempt to miter the walnut purflings. That would mean a much more precise and detailed effort installing the bindings. I hope to try that challenge some day...

Now I can turn my attention to the neck and fretboard...

Post Reply