Moll Archtop

Ron Sommers

Moll Archtop

Post by Ron Sommers »

Hi, just rejoined the forum...

I've been researching violins and varnish for 20 years or so and the opportunity to actually make a violin appeared about five years ago, so I took it! Working on number 6 now.

I figure making a guitar won't be much different, just bigger! Kind of like making a cello? I'll make one of those someday too...

Started compiling parts for an archtop back in 1999 when MIMF was a fledgling forum. (I think it was 1999? The plans I have say 1999 MIMF, so I'm going with that date.)

That's back when "forums" were rather a 'novel' concept. Bill Moll offered the first MIMF archtop making class. It was really fun. Several folks took the free class and actually made some beautiful guitars! My intent was to make one as well, but life got in the way and now I'm finally at a place in life where I can do it.

I scoured the house for the boxes with the parts. Bill supplied a plan as well. I also purchased the Benedetto plan. Each is a little different, so I'm thinking of making one of each. Not sure I'll do both at the same time though...

That's what I'm going to make. Just hope I can finish it in the timeframe given.
Barry Daniels

Re: Moll Archtop

Post by Barry Daniels »

I took the Moll online class too. It only took me about 3 years to complete the guitar, but I am glad I did.
MIMF Staff

Return to “The "Try Something New" Challenge (Closed)”