Sunburst on Tom Bills archtop

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Enrico Schiaffella

Sunburst on Tom Bills archtop

Post by Enrico Schiaffella »

Hello everybody. If you take a look at guitargal there is an archtop by Tom bills. To my eyes is a wonderful instrument. I’d like to get inspired by it. It says that it’s French polished. Do you think that kind of sunburst can be obtained only by using different shade of shellac? Or maybe by using a stain? I’m intrigued by it and tempted to use different colors of shellac buying them from shellac.net. What do you think?
Barry Daniels

Re: Sunburst on Tom Bills archtop

Post by Barry Daniels »

How about a link?
MIMF Staff
Enrico Schiaffella

I thought it wasn’t allowed. Here it is
https://www.guitargal.com/collections/a ... xe-archtop
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

That rule was changed a few years ago.

That sunburst is created with dyes mixed into the lacquer to create a transparent toner, applied with a spray gun.
MIMF Staff
Enrico Schiaffella

Ok great thanks a lot
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Tom Bills uses French polish on his guitars. He stopped using lacquer some time ago. This may have been done before he stopped spraying lacquer, it is hard to say. I do know that he is pretty good about answering emails. You should ask him how he did that particular guitar.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Enrico Schiaffella

Well on the description it says “hand rubbed French polish shellac finish”
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Wow, never seen a hand applied french polish sunburst that even. I stand corrected.

But I also think that he must have a LOT of experience with french polish. Most attempts at a hand applied sunburst that I have seen are no where near as even and subtle.
MIMF Staff
Enrico Schiaffella

Yes Barry, I once saw part of a tutorial from him teaching French polish. He is very dedicated to this job. It was kind of a meditation for him. That is the reason why I asked about his technique of applying a sunburst. Just because I knew it was applied by hand. I might write to him as Brian suggested. I will probably do and in case I will let you know the answer.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I am a member of Tom Bills' Art of Lutherie program. I took his VERY detailed French polish class. Tom only uses French polish, due to an accident that almost blew up his house when using nitrocellulose lacquer, and some health concerns. He always dewaxes his shellac flakes, even though he buys dewaxed shellac. He also color corrects the shellac by adding charcoal. He uses different colored flakes to get different tones. His process is much drier than most traditional methods. His French polish method requires only a few minutes a day, but is stretched out over about a month.

I think he has spoken about this sunburst method in one of his regular online question and answer sessions. Feel free to reach out to him. He is a very nice guy, super luthier, and very friendly, and always willing to answer questions.
Enrico Schiaffella

Thanks Christ for the info. I think the end result is wonderful.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”