My 2017/18 building results...

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

My 2017/18 building results...

Post by Brian Evans »

My two 2017/18 guitars have been finished for a month or two now. I built a traditional cut-away archtop, and one based on my "Moderne" asymetrical cutaway shape.

"Traditional" is spruce over quilted maple, parallel braced, bound F-holes and 4 layer binding on top and back. First time for me doing block MOP inlays on fretboard, doing the triple bound rosewood fretboard and headstock, and the venetian cutaway. Finish is amber tinted EM6000, around a dozen coats. Tone is bright and transparent, a little mid-range chomp - about what you expect from an archtop.

"Moderne" is sinker curly redwood over birdseye maple back, sides and neck. The maple was given to me by a friend who sawed it just down the street from me, in 1972. The flame in the redwood top turned out quite subtle, possibly because the board was sawn quite close to the outside of the log - you can see the dark colour on the edges of the lower bout from immersion in water. The headstock has some influence from a Matsuda design, and the sound-hole in the upper bout top and side pays homage to Ken Parker. Bracing is a modified X pattern. Neck is 1.85" at the nut and 2.25 string spacing at the bridge. Tone is very deep, strong bass coupled with very bright trebles, very balanced throughout. I am quite taken with it, and I think future experiments with the sound-hole placement are in order!
Attachments
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG
Brian Evans

Re: My 2017/18 building results...

Post by Brian Evans »

Meant to post the back of the traditional archtop, lovely quilted maple.
Attachments
IMG_0267.JPG
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Really nice work Brian
Aaron Helt

Post by Aaron Helt »

Very nice, but you need a logo on that headstock!
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

Thank you both. I haven't learned how to inlay yet, so logos on headstocks is in the future. I have left the space open so I can easily come back and do some inlay work once I learn how to do it... I did just purchase a suitable router for inlay work, so maybe I will learn soon... My focus so far has been on tone, first, and basic woodworking second. I hope I am achieving some goals...

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”