Archtop Rebuild Sides Question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Archtop Rebuild Sides Question

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

I'm working on getting the sides of my old Epiphone Triumph ready. I'm pretty close, I hope. The finish was so damaged that I was getting flakes of black varnish on everything just moving the sides around. I thought I'd have to use chemicals to get it all off but a few swipes with a scraper and it fell right off.
sides1.png
Turns out the wood that was covered with black varnish is Birdseye maple.
sides3.png
The insides took some effort to get cleaned up but they seem ready.
sides2.png
The old side braces were just some strips of cloth. Those, all the old hide glue, and the chips from the old kerfing came off with a scraper and a lot of effort.
sides4.png
I'm assuming I should use wood braces. Is that what you all would do? (Just checking, why did they use cloth? Is that still a thing?)

Thanks,

-Eric
Randolph Rhett

Re: Archtop Rebuild Sides Question

Post by Randolph Rhett »

A LOT of builders (including me) use cloth. There was a recent post on that here. You may want to search "bias tape".
Eric Knapp

Re: Archtop Rebuild Sides Question

Post by Eric Knapp »

Randolph Rhett wrote:A LOT of builders (including me) use cloth. There was a recent post on that here. You may want to search "bias tape".
Well, cool. I need to learn about this and I'll start with that thread. Thanks for letting me know about it. That guitar was built in 1938 and had cloth on the sides until today. There are no cracks at all. The top and back have some cracks I'll need to repair but not the sides. Hmm, maybe that's a hint. :D

-Eric

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”