Hi

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Sean Eric Howard

Hi

Post by Sean Eric Howard »

My name is Sean. I have played classical guitar for nearly 35 years. I teach guitar students at Kentucky Wesleyan College here in my hometown of Owensboro, KY. I’ve always wanted to build some guitars using woods native to the Bluegrass. I plan to start build no. 1 this summer in my basement workshop.
Bryan Bear

Re: Hi

Post by Bryan Bear »

Welcome and good luck. You will get some good advice here along the way.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Sean, what book(s) or other information about building are you going to follow along with in your build?
And welcome to the MIMF.
MIMF Staff
Sean Eric Howard

I have the Trevor Gore books but I plan on using the Cumpiano book to build with. I had originally signed up to go to Granada this summer for a month-long class with Pavel Gavryushov, but my wife has immune system issues and with the latest virus making the rounds, I decided to cancel.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

The Cumpiano book will be a good resource to cover what tools you need. I think most people here have read and wold recommend that book but may not follow all the procedures outlined there. We tend to adjust our methods and fit in new techniques over time. I don't make classicals, so I don't know how true this is for that part of the book. he has a website that lists several changes and updates to the book. Make sure you check that out.

Tell us a little bit about your wood working and finishing experience going into this project.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Sean Eric Howard

Finishing is something I have no skill with at all.

I've built a few cam clamps and a few other little items. I can sharpen planes and chisels pretty well and really enjoy working with them. I have yet to make the workboard as outlined in Cumpiano. I've been over to his website and looked over the changes but I'm probably going to go straight by the book until I have some clue about the process. I'll have a bit of help with my 78 year old father. He's built mountain banjos and dulcimers from absolute scratch and built furniture and even a grandfather clock. I'm afraid I probably didn't get those genes in the DNA lottery. Needless to say, I'll probably be in here asking every dumb question in and out of the book.

Return to “Introduce yourself here!”