convert to a 10 string

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

convert to a 10 string

Postby Chris Flynn » Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 am

I have had someone ask me if I could convert their 5 string bass, to a 10 string. a 10 string that is like a 12 string guitar, with Octave strings. any input would be helpful. not sure if I am going to attempt, I am a little concerned about the added stress on the truss rod/neck.
thanks
Chris Flynn

Re: convert to a 10 string

Postby Charles Bloss » Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

It would probably be better built from scratch. I would also think that the difference in string sizes would be hard to fret at the same time but I could be wrong.
I was born with nothing and have even less today!
Charles Bloss

Postby JC Whitney » Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm

If you can get your hands on a copy, Melvyn Hiscock's original "Make your own Guitar" book includes a well detailed chapter on an eight string (four pair) bass build. I truly dig the way those sound... Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom" or a lot of Cheap Trick's songs come to mind.
JC Whitney

Postby David Schwab » Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 am

I converted a Fender P bass into an 8 string. It worked fine, but I eventually made a new neck for it, just because it wasn't a very good neck.
David Schwab

Postby Rodger Knox » Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm

The real problem in a conversion is finding a home for five more tuners :o
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Rodger Knox

Postby David Schwab » Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Rodger Knox wrote:The real problem in a conversion is finding a home for five more tuners :o

I used guitar tuners for the octave strings. But I also spliced on a new headstock.

Today the bass looks like this. I cut the body to a new shape, and years later made a new neck. I made the scale about 32" by using the first fret slot as the zero fret. I should have left it long scale, but it works fine as it is.

Here it was back in '96.

David Schwab

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars