Julian Giffords double neck. [pics]

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
julian gifford

Julian Giffords double neck. [pics]

Post by julian gifford »

Started this almost 3 yrs ago. It kept getting put on the back burner. Finally made a push to get it done, though it still needs a final setup... I need some info from John Kingma on setting up a 12... Dont have one, and never measured one. The string spacing needs to be adjusted.

12 string neck is maple/purpleheart/mahogany. 6 string is mahogany. Body is alder. Ebony fretboards with 26 frets. EMG 81/85 on both necks. Aluminum binding on headstocks/necks. 25.5 scale on both necks. Custom paint by Matt Hutchison of "Sik Kreations paint".

I havent weighed it yet. It's heavy, but I dont think it's too bad for a double.

1 Vol 1 tone and 3 way pickup switch for 6 string, 3 way switch for neck selector, and dont have one yet, should probably add a 3 way switch for the 12 string pickups too on the side of the body.

Last edited by julian gifford on Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
julian gifford

Re: Julian Giffords double neck. [pics]

Post by julian gifford »

War Angel and a Demon about to battle it out.

julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

I told the painter the Angel looks like a cross dresser.... so he's going to touch it up a little. Since it's getting touched up anyway, I need to fix the string thru section of the 12 string. Move 1 hole from the bass side to the treble side, and the strings will be a straight pull from the bridge. I got confused laying out my string path. If I switch the strings from the string thru with the rear mounted tuners, its straight on the body end, but crossed at the head. Right now the headstock string paths are straight and the body is crossed, but it's an easy fix moving one hole and touching up the paint. Not that it "matters"- they dont touch, but it looks wrong....

Last edited by julian gifford on Thu May 10, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

The back. I want him to paint a full guitar in fire...

julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

Closeup of the back.... and a self portrait.... and a box fan with my beer on it (on the left)... and the neck switch cover is on upside down... since the fire doesnt line up... :lol:

julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

Closeup of the Demon. Wish he planned the Demon around the string thru better... They almost line up with his "belly buttons"... That would work better than going through his head....

Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

That is wild! Cool solution to the 12 strings: a "head" on either end!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Would love to see some higher resolution pics Julian.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
John Kingma

Post by John Kingma »

Hey Julian, great looking guitar.

Sorry I haven't gotten that info to you yet... I've been working pretty long hours and by the time I get home at night I'm knackered and I forget.

I'll try and remember over the weekend.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

Jason, it's a blatant copy of a Jackson double neck king V. My headstock shape is different, but the body size and layout is identicle to the Jackson design. Dave Mustaine from 'Megadeath' had 2 different ones back in the 80's. They probably got the idea from BC Rich "Bich" 10 or 12 string designed by Neal Moser, though I dont know when exactly both designs came out.

John, I'd appreciate it- when you get around to it, but it's no rush- since it's getting paint touch up for awhile.

Greg, I'm not sure how to get better/larger pictures posted. I just tried uploading the fullsize pictures to photobucket and link it, but the picure appears to be the same size... Maybe I need to double check the settings on my camera.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

Great looking guitar Julian! I like the paint job.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”