White "plastic" binding.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
David King

Re: White "plastic" binding.

Post by David King »

UHU makes a plastic model glue that's widely available in Europe.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Acetone works nicely with celluloid binding. I have successfully used Bison plastic glue with ABS plastic binding. It can be a bit messy if excessively applied, but masking tape helps.
Murray Kuun

Post by Murray Kuun »

I eventually got the job done with Stewmac superglue. I still don't like the plastic :-) but others tell me it looks nice on this guitar.
Attachments
20120520_005.jpg
Murray Kuun

Post by Murray Kuun »

What is weird is that Stewmac are allowed to send me superglue but not this cement?
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Super glue isn't flammable, while the plastic cement is highly so.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

BTW, looks good, Murray! But if I may suggest? next time, add at least a black purfling between the binding and the top; even a thin veneer matching that light brown wood(walnut?) to match the swoopy wedge. White binding directly on light woods has a habit of showing what looks like poor routing or fitting, despite our best efforts, and a little contrast is always a nice thing. A .010" or .020" thick purfling/veneer would be just right.

Just my opinion, of course!
Murray Kuun

Post by Murray Kuun »

You are 100% right Mario, I wanted to fit my "usual" violin purfling but this is exactly how the client wants it. I like the rest of the guitar but I really don't like the plastic one little bit. :D

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”