White "plastic" binding.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Re: White "plastic" binding.

Postby David King » Thu May 17, 2012 2:20 pm

UHU makes a plastic model glue that's widely available in Europe.
David King

Postby Markku Nyytäjä » Mon May 21, 2012 4:15 am

Acetone works nicely with celluloid binding. I have successfully used Bison plastic glue with ABS plastic binding. It can be a bit messy if excessively applied, but masking tape helps.
Markku Nyytäjä

Postby Murray Kuun » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:01 am

I eventually got the job done with Stewmac superglue. I still don't like the plastic :-) but others tell me it looks nice on this guitar.
Attachments
20120520_005.jpg
Murray Kuun

Postby Murray Kuun » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:04 am

What is weird is that Stewmac are allowed to send me superglue but not this cement?
Murray Kuun

Postby Mario Proulx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 am

Super glue isn't flammable, while the plastic cement is highly so.
Mario Proulx

Postby Mario Proulx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:11 am

BTW, looks good, Murray! But if I may suggest? next time, add at least a black purfling between the binding and the top; even a thin veneer matching that light brown wood(walnut?) to match the swoopy wedge. White binding directly on light woods has a habit of showing what looks like poor routing or fitting, despite our best efforts, and a little contrast is always a nice thing. A .010" or .020" thick purfling/veneer would be just right.

Just my opinion, of course!
Mario Proulx

Postby Murray Kuun » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:12 am

You are 100% right Mario, I wanted to fit my "usual" violin purfling but this is exactly how the client wants it. I like the rest of the guitar but I really don't like the plastic one little bit. :D
Murray Kuun

Previous

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars