Bass Guitars "Own" section?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
David King

Bass Guitars "Own" section?

Post by David King »

As there have always been three discussion area titles:
Flattop acoustic guitars and bass guitars
Solid and chambered guitars and bass guitars
Archtop guitars and bass guitars...

I was just hoping there might now be an opportunity for disambiguation so that folks dropping by for the first time don't get confused.
Veronica Merryfield

Re: Three "and Bass Guitars" areas confusion

Post by Veronica Merryfield »

Or perhaps we could ask nicely for a bass guitar area :)
Tim Douglass

Post by Tim Douglass »

What type of Bass guitar? Electric, Archtop or Flattop acoustic?
Veronica Merryfield

Post by Veronica Merryfield »

Top level topic bass, then three sub levels :)

The three that were would be good as David said, but it might be nice to distinguish.
Matthew Wiebe

Post by Matthew Wiebe »

The flattop and archtop basses have been few and far between from what I remember, so it may be easier to just have solidbody and acoustic bass sections.
"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them." -Stephen Fry (The Liar)
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

I guess I'm on the fence about this one. While guitars and basses have their own unique characters, I would worry about input being missed becouse a guitar builder never looks at the bass section or vice versa.
Oh and also-
Thanks Charlie and Thank you Deb for so many years.

Steven
Tim Douglass

Post by Tim Douglass »

Personally, I feel like the way it is works well, at least on the electric and flattop sides, because it puts similar builds together. That means that the problems can be addressed by a larger group. As Steven said, I think we could lose some of the useful input.
Rick Lee

Post by Rick Lee »

Might want to keep them together - where would a bass/6string double neck go?
nice look for the forum
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Thanks Rick and welcome. I kind of think we're going to leave it as is for now and see how much traffic we get (if we get a lot, we'll look into splitting it up).
Rodger Bryan

Post by Rodger Bryan »

Grouping according to similar construction types has been helpful to me. Some great ideas and inspiration for my last bass came from the high-strung builds (and builders). Maybe put basses before guitars? :mrgreen:
Bryan Bear

Re: Bass Guitars "Own" section?

Post by Bryan Bear »

This is off topic (but slightly related), I know Charlie said he wants to leave the categories as is for now, but other places I have been to (not all instrument related) have a section for tutorials and tips. It is nice to have a single place to search for how-tos, and it seems to encouragempeople to make tutorials.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Andy Barth

Post by Andy Barth »

tutorials and tips and how to's are always welcome, it's pretty much what the mimf.tng is all about, and better to have them come up in the sections where they are revelant.
David King

Post by David King »

I was just thinking we could spell out "Flat top acoustic guitars and *acoustic* bass guitars" etc. Never considered it necessary or appropriate for basses to be in their own little ghetto.
Andy Barth

Post by Andy Barth »

"Flat top acoustic guitars and *acoustic* bass guitars" etc.

Actualy the proper gramer for your proposed title should read 'Acoustic Bass and Guitars'
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

Steven Wilson wrote:I guess I'm on the fence about this one. While guitars and basses have their own unique characters, I would worry about input being missed becouse a guitar builder never looks at the bass section or vice versa.
Oh and also-

Steven
I read the arch-top and acoustic sections even though I don't build any of those at the moment.

I'd like a bass section as well. I think that generally means electric bass guitars.
KD Williams-Shimomura

Post by KD Williams-Shimomura »

Steven Wilson wrote:I guess I'm on the fence about this one. While guitars and basses have their own unique characters, I would worry about input being missed becouse a guitar builder never looks at the bass section or vice versa.
Oh and also-

Steven

I agree with Steven wholeheartedly! I have been in and out of MIMF for about 12(ish) years and my focuses tend to be on whatever project I am working on.... I have gotten a lot of good information on both guitar and bass posts that have been relavent to the opposite instrument's construction... I think the connections should therefore stick with the main body type of the construction (I/e Solidbody, archtop, etc.).

:P
"Speak useful words or be silent." -The Hávamál
Andy Birko

Post by Andy Birko »

Veronica Merryfield wrote:Top level topic bass, then three sub levels :)
10,000 votes against any sub levels. The only reason to start sub forums is if the post count in the parent forum is so high that topics get bumped too many pages deep too quickly.

I've been a short time member on a few forums where it was obvious that the forum owner made as many sub forums as he or she could think of and it just ended in fragmentation and a difficult to navigate forum. Only resort to sub forums when necessary.
PMoMC
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

What Andy said. Keep. It. Simple.

I'd like a bass section as well. I think that generally means electric bass guitars.

No. For many of us, if you just say "bass", we instantly think "upright bass". An electric bass guitar is just that; an electric guitar. It just happens to have a rather long scale and (typically) fewer strings than typical electric guitars.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Oh my..., nope, nope, nope. For those of us on the other side of the fence, an electric bass is not at all an electric guitar. Lots and lots of different things are happening not to mention that the electric bass player has a whole range of different expectations and priorities. On paper, they look about the same in construction but the end goals are quite different. I have no preference one way or the other about where we stick basses. I can be quite happy to leave things as they are because I know where to look and since a cello is the same thing as a violin I see no reason for change. ;)
Jeff Mills

Post by Jeff Mills »

If it means anything - I've been lurking for a while now and cast my vote for a bass guitars section. the first few times I lurked - I totally overlooked the Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars section looking for just a bass section. So I was one of those who was confused at first.

Thanks
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”