Some Basic Tuning Machine Questions

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chip Bassett

Some Basic Tuning Machine Questions

Post by Chip Bassett »

I’ve got a neck with a blank peghead that I’m going to put on a Warmoth Strat body. Some really basic questions:

Is there an advantage to machine heads secured with 1 or 2 posts instead of a tab/extension with a screw?

Is a 12:1 ratio good enough or is a 16:1 or 18:1 really an improvement?

Are 2 post heights - one for wound and shorter for unwound strings - good enough or would 3 staggered heights be an improvement? I’d like to avoid a string tree but don’t know if that’s likely.

I know that there can be passionate debate regarding locking tuners; however, that is what I would like on this guitar. I can spend $50 on a Fender branded set, a bit more for Hipshot, about $100 for Sperzels, or $150 for Schallers. Since this may replace my primary electric guitar, I don’t mind spending money if there’s a long-term quality advantage. Any advice there?

Thanks in advance,
Chip
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Some Basic Tuning Machine Questions

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

12:1 tuners allow you to change tunings quicker, but may be hard to tune precisely. 21:1 tuners allow you to tune more precisely but are slower to change the pitch. 14:1 and 18:1 are more commonly used and are a better compromise for most players. If you change tunings a lot in a set, then 14:1 might be a good choice. If you generally keep the same tuning 18:1 makes it a little easier to fine tune your instrument.
If you wind on the strings with the windings going "down" toward the peghead that can help the down bearing at the nut, as will a greater angle on the peghead. Fender style necks with little angle on the peghead may still need string tees.
The tuners that use a single screw usually have a bushing that also holds the tuner in place. Tuners that use two screws often have press fit bushings.
I haven't seen any machines with staggered string posts so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure I haven't seen it all.
Most people seem to get along fine with fairly standard machine heads, locking or otherwise. You might want to visit a guitar store and check out tuners with different ratios and see what - you - prefer.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”