choosing a hardtail bridge for 28.625 baritone build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Phil Donovan

choosing a hardtail bridge for 28.625 baritone build

Post by Phil Donovan »

Hello, its nice to be back after so long, I missed this forum quite a bit.

I've begun the build and plans on a 28.625 scale baritone guitar and realize the need to pay attention to a couple of things not critical in standard guitar scale lengths.

I'm concerned if a traditional hardtail bridge will be OK to use for the 28.625" scale length as far as intonation compensation is concerned. Its pretty obvious that compensation adjustment will probably need to be greater by the degree of the extra scale length which by my calcs may be around 10% more than 25.5" scale compensation. That doesn't seem like enough to make a bridge not up to the job but, there may be other contributing factors that I'm not aware of, (wound G verses plain G, extra thickness of strings, things like that).

Has anyone ever run into a problem using standard hardtail bridges on a baritone? I found a vintage type hardtail bridge made out of all brass which I kind of like, and was hoping it may fit the bill.

thanks for stopping by! I'm pretty charged about this project,

Best,
Phil Donovan
Pete Halliday

Re: choosing a hardtail bridge for 28.625 baritone build

Post by Pete Halliday »

So how did it turn out? I'm a few weeks from assembly on a similar guitar with the same scale. My plan was just to use the standard Wilkinson short Tele bridge and flip the center saddle over and re-file the ramps for intonating with a wound G. I'd be interested in hearing what your experience was so I know what to expect.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”